Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Blood Promise - Richelle Mead Book Review (VA Re-Read Challenge) SPOILER ALERT!

Blood Promise...well um HOLY MOTHER OF GOD WE HAVE A FAVOURITE! This would be my absolute favourite of the vampire academy series, a.k.a Total Epicness! I think a main reason why this books is so great to me, is we get it experience Epicness in scenes outside the academy, seeing only Lissa life of the Academy was really interesting, and then Russia, wow I want every book to be written in Russia because that’s where the Epicness happens! I sworn to myself I will now visit Baia, on my list of things to do before I die, because no way am I missing out on my Dimitri town. Okay now to review.

Starting with Lissa/Avery/Adrian/Christian/Jill Storyline. Wow. Just to throw it out there, I was so much fonder of Adrian in this book, seeing he true personality when he not trying to impress Rose, really impressed me he truly is a great guy, but saying that I still don’t want him and Rose to end up together in the end, even though its obvious they'll date for a bit. Avery, well I never liked her that much in the first place she likes the Adrian I first met but she didn’t get better. I was so shocked at the twist of her being a spirit user, like shoving Rose out and then tying to kill Lissa just to get more power! And that apparently she did that to her brother too. Lissa annoyed the crap out of me in this book, especially the party. But since it was under "Avery' influence I’ve let it go but during it was annoying. And oh Christian poor Christian, nothing makes me dislike him, though I was angry about the breakup him and Lissa are the equivalent of Rose & Dimitri, perfect for each other. Then the saving Lissa chapters WOW! Some serious magic there! That connection Between Oksana/Rose/Lissa was crazy when I imagined the feeling just wow, oh and points for Lisa’s punch. For that storyline I was really impressed it was very strong, since I believe this to be a very Rose based book.

Rose's Story, Pt 1 Seeking Dimitri.
It was very interesting to read what Rose would think of how to find him, like visiting his homeland
Seeking out Moroi etc. Even the random Strigoi killing was cool, which brought Sydney. I like her a lot,
The alchemy thing is so cool, and I’d really like to see other potions like that one that shrunk the Strigoi, Im very interested in the Alchemist and hope they pop up in more books. it also great to see how Sydney has a clear and understandable resentment to Rose, but how they still manage to get along and in the end become mutual friends. Then the incident when Sydney is taking Rose to Baia and then Rose meets the Strigoi, and how her shadow kissed power is actually a weapon of defence (ghostly distraction) though later she Sonya is an example of the 'Blood Whore' community they live in and how these things happen to the best of people. And its unsafe.

Rose's Story, Pt 2 Baia
I love Dimitri's family from the loving mother, carefree sister and cautious grandmother I would never have to strength to leave that home. It was so sad though when they discovered what had happened to Dimitri and the funeral was lovely, I love how they swapped stories and reminisced. Olena is the perfect mother, I like how
Sonya is representation of the "Blood Whore' community they live in, the reality, and that it happens to the best of people, she may not even been a blood whore maybe just taken advantage by another Moroi. Viktoria I liked a lot, but annoyed me when she resisted Rose trying to save her from the den, and her force which made Rose leave. The Yeva with her predictions, testing Rose, and then taking her to answer. Mark and Oksana, the other bonded people, it was fascinating all the things they knew, like healing the craziness, the and the other abilities that Adrian and Lissa had yet to discover. Then Abe, the mysterious 'mobster' trying to force out rose, I was intrigued by his actions but then made sense when they discovered he was her father, and I was very happy he was caring considering his abandonment.
** Finding Dimitri, I was really impressed with her strategy and was into the strigoi torture.
But when he found her, omg I was in total shock, I was so unexpected and I didn’t expect him so soon.

Rose's Story, Pt 3 the Strigoi Estate & Escape
Well, um wow, never would’ve thought of this in a million years. Dimitri keeping captive Rose, who then in turn becomes a temporary blood, whores, Dimitri wanting to rule over Strigoi, humans in love with strigoi um yeah, whoa! I one of the readers who will not judge Dimitri for any of his actions, he is Strigoi, he takes over memories feelings but now all are cold and selfish and that’s how it was told for the beginning so any faults he made in this book will not affect my opinion of him in any way. Part of me was glad that he still wanted Rose, though he didn’t give her the right words for it. And that brief moment with his genuine care and interest for his family gave me hope for him. Though I was angry at all the biting that happened, I don’t like Rose being weak and pitied her when she figured it out. I can’t retell but I was sucked into that whole thing so much I was glued to the book for hours. then the escape, points to Richelle for most epic escape ever, battling old strong strigoi, having your once loved battle them for you, the maze, attacking from a tree, the ghosts against dimitri, the race to the bridge, and then finally her stabbing Dimitri and those lines "I will always love you" "That’s was what I was supposed to say" had me crying, as I thought Dimitri to be dead.  In all, well EPIC!

The end of the novel, battling for Lissa, rose returns, and then finding out there is a way to bring strigoi back from the dead had me excited and then pissed because Dimitri was dead, but then that letter, oh yes uber happiness, I have a spark of hope and now re-read Spirit Bound, and will review within the next week.

-Claudia

No comments:

Post a Comment